Estate planning is more than simply having a will. Done properly, a robust estate plan will protect your assets and ensure your wealth is transferred smoothly, tax effectively and according to your wishes.
Studies show that over 45% of Australians die without a will. This leaves their family and friends with a pre-determined formula to distribute their assets based on state and federal legislation.
Even if you have a will, it may not apply to all your assets and wealth. Complications can arise depending on where your assets are held. For example, did you know that in some cases your superannuation may not even form part of your estate?
Ensuring your estate is in order
As an advisor who is familiar with your business, assets and financial affairs, your Accru accountant is in a unique position to explain the issues involved and guide you through the tax considerations. We will address questions like:
- Is your wealth protected from marriage breakdowns, creditors and potential challenges to your estate?
- Should you utilise trusts for asset protection and tax effectiveness?
- How do you ensure your SMSF forms part of your estate?
- Are your assets, business and life insurance structured tax effectively?
- Do you need a ‘buy sell agreement’ with your business partner to ensure your business continues?
- Who owns your home or other major assets and how does this affect your will?
How Accru can help you
Working closely with legal advisors where appropriate, we can help you approach estate planning in a practical and constructive way.
We will help to develop a plan that protects your assets from creditors, the government, excessive tax and family disputes. Our assistance includes:
- Establishing a will
- Powers of attorney
- Testamentary trusts
- Charitable trusts
- Asset protection
- Beneficiary advice.