When it comes to running a business, we know first hand how hard it is to strike the right balance between work and personal life. However, to ensure longevity in business and continue to have good personal relationships it is imperative that balance is achieved.
Below are some tips for how to achieve the right work/life balance:
1. Schedule time in your calendar each week for uninterrupted time – no customer, client or staff distractions. This time can be used however you choose; either working through business issues or taking time out for yourself. If it is scheduled, like any other appointment, it will be done.
2. Set manageable daily goals – be realistic about your workload and deadlines to ensure priorities are met. Make a ‘to do’ list each day to ensure important tasks are attended to first.
3. Delegate – not everything has to be done by you all the time.
4. Stop procrastinating – just get in there and tackle the things you have been putting off. You will often be surprised that something you thought was going to be difficult or take a lot of time to complete is finished quicker than you anticipated.
5. Unplug – technology advancements have led to the increased expectation that we are constantly accessible. This is not necessarily a positive thing all the time. When you arrive home from work, put the phone away for the night and enjoy family time. Enjoy your children’s weekend sport without feeling the need to check or reply to work emails. More often than not, these items are not urgent and can wait until you are back at work to respond. It’s all about breaking the habit and adjusting expectations where applicable.
6. Ensure family commitments are scheduled into your calendar each week. This is crucial to ensure you don’t overbook your time.
7. Stay active – it is well documented that regular exercise reduces stress, depression and anxiety. Make time in your schedule for a walk at lunch or gym session and have fun!
8. Don’t be afraid to get help if you need it – don’t let stress overwhelm you. Your health and happiness are paramount so if you are persistently overwhelmed, it may be time to seek help from a professional. This isn’t a sign of weakness; it takes strength to take care of yourself.
As business owners ourselves, we know achieving work/life balance can be difficult at times, however it is imperative for your personal wellbeing that you try. You don’t have to radically change your schedule, start small with one or two easy to do items and build to a more balanced lifestyle.
With offices in every capital city and experience spanning over decades; Accru’s partners know the ins and outs of running a business. If you need help with your personal or business finances, contact your local office today!